FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OTTAWA, ON – Today, Matt Jeneroux, Conservative Shadow Minister for Health, and Pierre Paul-Hus, Conservative Shadow Minister for Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement in response to reports that the Trudeau government has not properly implemented enhanced screening measures at airports, ports or land border crossings:
“The health and safety of all Canadians must be the government’s top priority.
“Reports that Canadians returning from international travel are not being properly screened at the airport or advised to self-isolate for 14 days are extremely concerning and must immediately be corrected. It’s not enough for the government to simply announce a policy, they must ensure it is being enforced and that front line staff have the necessary resources and supports.
“Canadians are rightly concerned about their health and how the spread of COVID-19 will impact the health of their loved ones. The federal government must take a leadership role and immediately:
1. Implement enhanced screening measures at airports, ports and land border crossings;
2. Implement a mandatory 14-day self-isolation period for all travelers returning to Canada;
3. Encourage Canadians to practice social distancing;
4. Stop all flights to and from high risk areas;
5. Provide updated information and protocols to ensure the continued health and safety of Canadians.
“Conservatives will continue to use our strengthened Opposition to press the government for a stronger response to COVID-19 and for the answers Canadians deserve. All parliamentarians want to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Canada and should have a seat at the government’s cabinet committee on this important issue.”